Wednesday 9 January 2013

3, 2, 1...Aaaaaaaaaaaargh

A perfectly good waterfall I thought. Why would anyone possibly want to jump off the edge of it into the unknown? Then the jump master began the countdown - 3, 2, 1 - followed by a little nudge - Aaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Within a matter of a few minutes of PAYING to jump (did I mention that this was a perfectly good  waterfall?), I was airborne and falling rapidly to my certain death!!! All I can remember was how fast you fall and how quickly the ground comes towards you.

With certain death imminent, the rope finally took over and swung me over the tree tops lining either side of the river. I vividly recall seeing the white outline of a figure painted on the rock below, just before the rope took over. I thought, what a weird sense of humour.
The ride was exhilarating, terrifying, adrenaline pumping, fear-instilling, yet oddly liberating. Sometime we only live when we are doing something WAY outside our comfort zone.

This reminded me of the faith that we should exercise on a daily basis. We should be willing to step off the "waterfall" into the unknown for Jesus. He will be there, like the rope, to keep us safe.

The only reason I actually jumped was because I had spoken to one of the jump masters and he told me that every evening they remove the swing rope and re-connect it in the morning. The first task of the jump master for that day is to shimmy along the support rope, connect the swing rope, and THEN do the first jump of the day to test it's safety.
This is what God does for us. He goes before us and makes sure the way is "safe" (Not easy...)

Chat later.
Chow 4 Now

1 comment: