Monday 7 January 2013

Background to our 2012 "adventures"

Hi again...

As promised in my first post, I am going to tell you about some of the adventures I was blessed enough to be part of last year. But.......before I continue I need to put you in the picture on how we got to do these things in 2012.

In January 2011 my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer. We had been down this road before when my daughter had been diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia in 1998. It was most certainly our faith that got us through this difficult periods of chemo & radiation. I'm happy to report that both my girls are well, and clear of any signs of cancer - Soli Deo Gloria!!!

In 2011 we realised just how short life can be and so we decided to live in the moment, and to take a few "risks" (Difficult for a Type-A, Mr. Organised, must-all-work-to-plan person like me). We decided to do some of the things we had always "chucked" in our to-do-one-day-bucket. Thanks to an insurance payout we were fortunate to have some disposable cash for a great holiday. (More on that later)

At about the time my wife was diagnosed, we stumbled upon an "old, grey haired guy" named Pete. He became a huge part of our family and to this day we see him as one of the rocks we were able to cling onto during the rough patches in 2011. He "appeared" like an angel and kept our family laughing, and quite possibly, sane! He also happened to mention that he was a runner (bit of an understatement, he was more like a hardened mountain goat who liked two legged transport just for some fun). So in and around September & October three crazy decisions were made: (1) let's go and jump off a perfectly good waterfall into a gorge whilst dangling on a piece of rope, then (2) if we survive that, let's go on a boat cruise (My wife does NOT DO BOATS...) and tour of Europe, and (3) just for some fun let's run for 300 days out of 365 for charity!!!

Tada!!! - 2012 was all sorted. No dull moments there.

I will pick up these stories in the next couple of posts, but for now...Chow.

No comments:

Post a Comment